Lawrence Township approves power aggregation

Lawrence Township approves power aggregation

Image Credit: Lori Feeney

The Lawrence Township Board of Trustees voted to approve Archer Energy as the supplier for an electric aggregation program for township residents. The agreement will allow Archer Energy to purchase 45% of the load of electricity now and purchase the remaining 55% of electricity in the spring. The term is for 12 months with a fixed rate to be determined.

Joe Garrett, energy consultant with Trebel Energy Services, proposed the contract at the board’s Nov. 10 meeting. According to Garrett, the plan will secure cost savings for residents over utility company rates, which are expected to increase through winter and spring.

“The market has never been this volatile,” Garrett said. “We think you should lock in a rate now and only do it for 12 months.”

Garrett said the one-year agreement would allow the township the flexibility to take advantage of lower rates in the spring as well.

Trebel Energy Services is the second largest energy consulting company in Ohio, according to Garrett. It is the same company the township used for the previous aggregate that was nullified when Volunteer Energy filed bankruptcy in March of this year.

As with the previous aggregation, township residents will be able to choose whether to participate in the program or not.

Concerns voiced about new Dollar General

Ron Weekley, township zoning inspector, presented trustees with a proposal from Dollar General to build a new store on the north side of state Route 212 across from the Aultman Orrville Bolivar Health Center. The company will then lease the building they currently occupy at 10787 Ensley Drive NE.

Matt Ritterbeck, board chairman, said he has received a great number of complaints from residents over the years regarding the maintenance and operation of the current store. He said he has had to speak to DG representatives about everything from overgrown grass and weeds to trash piling up, store aisles being blocked and the “hazardous” driveway installed at the current location.

Trustee Don Ackerman agreed, saying he’d like to have some assurance the new store and grounds will be maintained properly.

Weekley said he will pass the concerns, adding the organization does not give the store manager the authority to address many of these issues. “It has to go above them, and it seems like they change those people every six months.”

Mini-storage units approved

Weekley said the board of zoning appeals voted 3-2 to grant a variance to AJACC, the company that owns Camping Adventure Rentals, allowing them to build mini-storage units near their facility on Fort Laurens Road. Weekley said a number of residents near the site appeared at the BZA meeting and voiced objections to the units being installed.

Changes to zoning commission

Trustees voted to approve the following changes:

—Moving Robert Eddy from the BZA to zoning commission.

—Moving Roxanne Kane to regular member.

—Renewing appointment of Mark Scott.

—Moving Frank Bachman to alternate.

Election complaints

Ritterbeck reported hearing some complaints about long lines because there are now only two polling locations for Lawrence Township residents: the township building and Faith Baptist Church near Zoar. He asked residents to lodge any complaints with the Tuscarawas County Board of Elections.

Other matters

Ritterbeck thanked residents for voting yes on the 2-mill road levy on the Nov. 8 ballot, which will allow the township to continue maintaining roads within the township.

Chuck McNutt, road supervisor, said his crew inspected five new driveways being installed with culverts. He also said he plans to have the benches at the Lawrence Township River Community Park repaired and painted before winter.

Ritterbeck thanked the Friends of Fort Laurens foundation for their donation toward the cost of mowing the grounds.

The next meeting will be held Tuesday, Nov. 22 rather than Thursday, due to the Thanksgiving holiday. All meetings begin at 7 p.m. at Charles E. Lundenberger Hall, 10867 Industrial Parkway NW, Bolivar.